Sunday, May 12, 2013

Isla Negra & Algarrobo

Today, we went to a gorgeous place called Algarrobo. We walked along the beach, and we saw the biggest pool in the world. Oddstuffmagazine.com says, "San Alfonso del Mar resort in Algarrobo, Chile, has the largest swimming pool in the world. It’s 3,324 ft (1,015 m) long and has a total area of 19.8 acres (8 hectares). The pool holds 66 million gallons (250 million liters) of water, as much as 6,000 normal pools. Incredible!"











The boat that cleans the water in the pool.

We also went to Isla Negra, a home of the famous Chilean poet Pablo Neruda. After seeing his house, we all agreed he was a very strange person. I guess you would have to be to want to write poetry. We couldn't any pictures inside, but the house had a ship theme. The house contained probably a dozen maiden figurehead (like from the bows of ships), most of which were in the living room. One of the ones in the living room had crystal eyes, on which water would condense, making her appear as though she were crying. There were other statues besides figureheads, including two angels and a Native American statue, which Neruda referred to as the "guardian" of the group. The bedroom had two glass walls that overlooked the ocean, with the bed angled for the best view of the sunset. Neruda was a great collector of things, all relating to the ocean. There were many figureheads, shells, preserved insects/butterflies, instruments, and even the horn from a Narwal. Though I couldn't take any pictures of the inside, I did take some pictures of the outside.


View from the bedroom
Isla Negra








I tried to post this post yesterday, but I couldn't load my pictures for some reason. So I messed up my timeline a little bit. I'll try to do another one tonight, but no promises. Happy Mother's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment